2021年3月13日 星期六

看電影學英文(1)破案偵探

 

看電影學英文(1)破案偵探

 



你遵守程序,盡忠職守,一切都按照規定

You followed procedure. you did your job.

You did everything by the book

 

他劫持了人質,他知道一定會有嚴重後果

He took hostages. He knew there’d be consequence.

 

他覺得他自己是隱形的。

He thought he was invisible.

 



你不是他的精神醫師。你不必診斷他,那不是你的職責

You are not his shrink.

You are not responsible for diagnosing him, That’s not your remit.

 

Shrink

當動詞時是「縮小」、「退縮」的意思。當名詞時可當作「精神醫生」,不過使用psychiatrist”比較正式。

 

noun [ C ]   informal

UK  /ʃrɪŋk/ US  /ʃrɪŋk/

 

a psychiatrist or psychoanalyst

精神病醫生

I was so depressed that I ended up going to see a shrink.

我太鬱悶了,最後不得不去找心理醫生看看。

 

 


這種事發生的太快我們通常事最後才到現場

These things happen in real time, and we are the last responders.

 


如果一項行動出了差錯,這並不是最糟糕的結果。

If an operation’s gonna go south, this not the worst outcome.

 

專心做我們該做的事。

Stay focused on what we do.

 


如果我一切都按照規定,那問題就是……

If I did everything by the book, It begs the question…..

 


This place is pretty much the benchmark for excellence in law enforcement.

這個地方基本上就是卓越執法單位的標竿

 


世界各地的執法單位,已經漸漸不再進行人質談判。

In the rest of the world, Hostage negotiation is on its way out.

 


你沒有損失一名人質或旁觀者,這對我們來說就算是成功了。

You didn’t lose one hostage or bystander. That is how we measure success.

 


而且你教的暑期課程大受歡迎,其實我覺得你應該多教課。

And your courses are a big hit in the summer, I actually think you should be teaching more.

 

你要把我調職?

You are putting me out to pasture?

 

pasture

noun [ C or U ]

UK  /ˈpɑːs.tʃər/ US  /ˈpæs.tʃɚ/

 

grass or similar plants suitable for animals such as cows and sheep to eat, or an area of land covered in this

牧場


The sheep were grazing on the lush green pastures.

羊群正在鬱鬱蔥蔥的牧場上吃草

Some fields are planted with crops for several years, and then returned to pasture for the cattle.

有些田地種了幾年作物後又退耕還牧用來養牛了。

 

lush

adjective

UK  /lʌʃ/ US  /lʌʃ/

lush adjective (PLANTS)

 

A lush area has a lot of green, healthy plants, grass, and trees.

(地區)鬱鬱蔥蔥的,植被茂盛的

lush green valleys

鬱鬱蔥蔥的山谷

lush adjective (PLEASING TO SENSES)

 

very attractive to look at, taste, smell, etc.

美味的;愉悅的,使感官愉快的

the lush sound of the orchestra

管弦樂隊演奏的優美樂章

the lush taste of fudge ice cream

奶油軟糖霜淇淋的美味

lush adjective (GOOD)



good or, of a person, attractive

好的;(人)有吸引力的

 

We had a lush time on my birthday.

我生日那天,我們共度了一段美好的時光

He's so lush.

他真有吸引力。

 

lush

noun [ C ]   slang

UK  /lʌʃ/ US  /lʌʃ/

 

a person who regularly drinks too much alcohol

酒鬼,貪杯的人

She's a lush by all accounts.

不管怎麼說她都是個酒鬼。

 

 

 

我要讓你發揮所長。

I am putting you to work where it really counts.

 

那讓你更具有經驗

It seasoned you.

 

但我不想調職。

But I’d rather not.

 

那就尷尬了

Well, this is awkward.

 

awkward

adjective

UK  /ˈɔː.kwəd/ US  /ˈɑː.kwɚd/

awkward adjective (DIFFICULT)

 

difficult to use, do, or deal with

難用的;棘手的;難處理的,難對付的

 

It's an awkward corner, so take it slowly.

這個轉彎不好過,開慢一點。

Some of the questions were rather awkward.

有些問題是很難回答的。

It was an awkward ascent, but we reached the top eventually.

那段上坡路很難走,但最後我們還是爬到了山頂。

[ + to infinitive ] My car's quite awkward to drive.

我的車很難開。

He's an awkward customer (= a difficult person to deal with).

他是個很難應付的顧客(奧客)

 

ascent

noun

UK  /əˈsent/ US  ˈsent/

ascent noun (CLIMB)

 

[ C usually singular ]

the act of climbing or moving upwards

上升;攀登

She made her first successful ascent of Everest last year.

她去年第一次成功攀登了珠穆朗瑪峰。

As the plane made its ascent, we saw thick smoke coming from one engine.

飛機上升時,我們看到一個引擎中冒出了濃煙。

ascent noun (SLOPE)

 

[ C ]

a slope, path, or road that goes up something

向上的斜坡;向上的小徑;向上的道路

 

We struggled up the slippery ascent.

那段上坡路很滑,我們吃力地向上走。

noun (TO HIGHER POSITION)

 

[ S ] formal

the fact of starting to become successful

騰達;成功;高升

 

His ascent to power was rapid and unexpected.

他出乎意料地平步青雲

 

 

我希望你在這周末好好考慮

I’d like you to sleep on it over the weekend.

 

因為周一你就要開始全職教書。

Because you start full-time on Monday.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

你看起來不像個書呆子

You don’t seem like a bookworm.

 

我不喜歡被定型。

I like playing against type.

 

那就好

Good to know.

 

你覺得涂爾幹對於偏差行為的標籤理論如何?

What you thinking about Durkheim’s labeling theory on deviancy?

 

那算是一種職業病

It’s an occupational hazard.

 

我們在一個課堂上討論這件事

We were looking at it in one of my classes.

 

涂爾幹認為所有的偏差行為都是針對國家正常化的壓抑狀態作出挑戰。

Durkheim says all forms of deviancy are simply a challenge to the normalized repressiveness of the state.

 

他是第一個提出這種理論的人,如果我們的社會出了甚麼問題,就會產生犯罪問題。

He was the first person to suggest that if there’s something wrong with our society, then the criminality is a response to that.

 

我在聯邦調查局的行為科學組工作,

I working in Behavioral Science for FBI

 

我們負責歹徒的心理特徵,擬定一套罪犯的辨識程序

My unit develops procedures for identify criminals by their psychological fingerprint.

 

 

沒有留言:

張貼留言